DIRECTOR OF EMPLOYEE EXPERIENCE
ideastream, Northeast Ohio’s Innovative Public Media organization, located in beautiful Playhouse Square in downtown Cleveland, is looking for a Director of Employee Experience.
Reporting to the Chief Experience Officer (CXO), this is a Director level position for an individual who has experience working directly with colleagues on behalf of a creative staff and in an innovative work environment. The Director will partner with ideastream’s CXO and leadership on talent acquisition strategies, compensation, compliance and other policy driven responsibilities.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Participate in ideastream’s strategic planning and budgeting from a human capital perspective.
- Regularly advise and support executives and managers on human capital issues.
- Develop and facilitate a management handbook and training program to provide managers with effective tools to supervise and motivate staff.
- Develop, communicate and manage the Performance Appraisal system and align with compensation strategy.
- Develop and administer a competitive total compensation program – pay and benefits – that optimally meets the needs of the organization and its employees, consistent with the agreed upon pay strategies.
- Balance the role of employee advocate and organizational strategic priorities to encourage an open and productive environment.
- Handle confidential Employee Relations issues.
- Conduct employee training needs analysis, research training solutions, and organize and/or conduct training as needed.
- Update employee handbook, ad hoc policies, and agreements as needed.
- Oversees robust internship program, source candidates, oversee implementation.
- Oversees recruiting/job offers/downsizing/exit interviews and design/conduct company new hire orientation and on-boarding.
- Partners with finance and payroll to ensure competitive/cost-effective employee benefits.
- Oversees the annual benefits open enrollment process, including communication with employees and employee benefits advisors.
- Serve as the staff lead for the 403(b) Plan Investment Subcommittee. Administer plan document and investment changes and required employee communications.
- Partner with CXO and outside counsel on all legal, risk management, compliance/regulatory, and union/collective bargaining issues.
- Develop robust career pathways and professional development opportunities for employees within ideastream and through Public Media Workforce Collaborative.
- Assist managers in creating strong individual development plans for their employees and strong succession plans for their teams.
- Lead compliance with all existing governmental and labor, legal and government reporting requirements including any related to the Equal Employment Opportunity Act (EEO), the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, worker compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and so forth.
- Manage employee communication and feedback through such avenues as company meetings, the employee intranet, suggestion programs, employee satisfaction surveys, newsletters, employee focus groups, and one-on-one meetings.
- Direct a process of organizational planning that evaluates company structure, job design, and personnel forecasting throughout the company and make recommendations.
- Oversees the company-wide activities and employee resource groups, including the wellness, training, environmental health and safety, activity, and culture and communications committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), COBRA, EEO, NLRB and other related legislation and regulations. Has knowledge and experience in managing a collective bargaining environment.
- Working knowledge and interest in advances in technology and how it used to increase workplace productivity, collaborations and better communication.
- Broad understanding of all human resource management functions: employment, training, policies, payroll, compensation, pension plans and other benefits.
- Demonstrated in-depth interpersonal capabilities: trust, integrity, tact and diplomacy.
- Displays appropriate emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain rapport at all organizational levels.
- In-depth written and oral communication skills.
- Strategic, analytical and creative skills.
- Experience with conflict resolution methods in organizational situations.
- Bachelor’s degree with major in human resource management or equivalent degree or experience.
- 10 years' progressively responsible, human resources experience.
- Strong generalist background and hands-on experience with: employee relations issues at all levels, staffing, support, strategic leadership and coaching, change management, compensation, benefits, HRIS, organization design, and recruiting talent.
- Fully proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Paycor and Newton.
- Law degree, Master’s degree in organizational management and development, HR or related field desirable.
- PHR, SPHR or SHRM certifications a plus.
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations and ongoing community involvement preferred.
- Possess ongoing affiliations with leaders in successful companies and organizations that practice effective Human Resources Management.
Essential Physical Demands and Working Environment:
Ability to see, communicate, hear and utilize electronic communication devices. While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to communicate effectively with others, sit and stand for extended periods of time. Use hands to manipulate a keyboard, telephone, paper, files and other equipment and objects.
WCLV 104.9 & WVIZ/PBS & 90.3 WCPN ideastream is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability.