About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me…,Nerdette, Making Oprah and the ground-breaking podcast Serial.
Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland’s premier media hub for high-quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
About the Role
We have an opening for a full-time Master Control Engineer (MCE). This role works behind the scenes to ensure our scheduled programming is on the air, our transmission equipment is operating properly and that our audio-based operations run smoothly with high quality results.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
We are looking for someone who can work at our main location at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. In this role you will operate the broadcast console and obtain, edit and upload acquired programming into our digital audio library system and execute programming logs for live, prerecorded and automated programming. During yoru work shift, you will monitor transmitter equipment to make sure it is operating within FCC guidelines, and assist with audio operations and troubleshooting in our studio complex and remote broadcast and event sites. The role is a full-time/40 hours a week role, overtime eligible.
Required Skills and Experience
- Engineering live radio programming and/or supporting the day-to-day technical direction of a radio station
- Using broadcast studio equipment, specifically experience mixing consoles, microphones, broadcast phone systems, ISDN and IP codec equipment, digital audio workstations (Vegas, Pro Tools, Adobe Audition, etc.) and broadcast library systems (Enco DAD, Audio Vault, etc.)
- Experience using Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite for on-going communications
- Additional consideration will be given to candidates with experience with NPR and affiliate programming and operations, the Public Radio Satellite System and NPR ContentDepot
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a collaborative, highly team-oriented environment, yet possess initiative, self-motivation and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Record and edit audio; produce and mix content using audio equipment and digital editing software and compile and edit material necessary for production, to include post-production and sound design
- Additional duties as assigned
- Minimum three years of radio production including live on air and live on location events required
- Public radio experience and SBE Certification a plus
- High school diploma is required
Requirements for the Job
- The ability to work varied shifts (early mornings, afternoons and late evenings) in addition to scheduled weekend and holiday hours.
- Be able to to sit for prolonged periods of time, occassionaly be able to stand for periods of time , talk, lift objects of up to fifty (50) pounds, and hear. Manipulative skills, which require hand-eye coordination, such as reading or typing, writing, and filing are also required.
- The ability to complete tasks in a fast paced environment, with a strong ability to follow detailed directions.
This position is represented by SAG AFTRA – Digital and Technical Operations. This role is classified as Master Control Engineer.
Working at Chicago Public Media
Our associates are in service of our mission. We bring together a community of about 150 full-time, part-time associates and an on-going cohort of interns at our newly renovated open and collaborative space at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. We know it is imperative that our workplace reflects our community so we can, in turn, provide content that connects people. We are committed to having a workplace that thrives by creating a place of belonging where everyone can contribute their talents. If you share our passion for public service news and information, join us!