About Chicago Public Media
Chicago Public Media is one of the largest and most respected public media organizations in the country. The organization has a legacy of innovative program development having launched such iconic shows as This American Life, Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me…, Nerdette, Making Oprah and the ground-breaking podcast Serial. Chicago Public Media engages with its listeners and users across multiple platforms, including broadcast radio, digital streaming, and mobile apps. Our flagship station, WBEZ-Chicago (91.5 FM) is Chicagoland’s premier media hub for high-quality, fact-based journalism and engaging, entertaining audio programs and podcasts. WBEZ’s sister service, Vocalo (91.1 FM in Chicago, vocalo.org everywhere), targets a multicultural audience through an urban alternative format.
About the Role
The Grant Writer will be instrumental in raising grant support from foundations, corporations, and government sources requiring proposals for both unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects. Working closely with the Institutional Giving Manager and reporting directly to the head of Development, you will be responsible for researching, writing, creating and maintaining a robust library of organizational funding priorities and supporting the timely submission of grant proposals, stewardship reports and written correspondence. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail oriented, adept at problem solving and possess a deep appreciation for the overarching mission of public media/independent journalism.
Duties and Responsibilities
As a Grant Writer, your overarching responsibility will be to enhance the Development departments ability to meet ambitious revenue goals in support CPM’s mission and services.
Specifically, you will:
- Effectively work across departments to research, collect information and draft well written materials including case for support, program narrative, objectives, budgets and impact reports as related to CPM’s organizational funding priorities
- Create and maintain an up-to-date, organized and thorough internal library for CPM’s operational funding priorities including relevant supporting data and materials
- Proactively identify and document organizational information useful for communicating impact with potential and current funders (corporations, institutions, etc.)
- Research and ensure timely submission of various letters of intent, funding proposals, grant applications, follow-up materials, and stewardship reports
- Draft written recognition/acknowledgement materials and support other ongoing stewardship efforts pertaining to the institutional gift portfolio
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 3 years of research and grant writing experience
- Basic understanding of non-profit financials and budgeting processes
- Exceptional communication skills, especially clear, precise and compelling writing skills
- Organized and detail-oriented with a can-do approach; can multi-task and meet numerous deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Motivated, proactive, and purposeful with the ability to work independently while maintaining accuracy in a fast-paced environment
Working at Chicago Public Media
Our associates are in service of our mission. Our full-time employee population hovers around 150 people, and approximately half of our team is represented by SAG-AFTRA, at our newly renovated open and collaborative space at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL. We know it is imperative that our workplace reflects our community so we can, in turn, provide content that connects people. We are committed to having a workplace that thrives by creating a place of belonging where everyone can contribute their talents. If you share our passion for public service news and information, join us!