WGBY works closely with the community to collaborate on various initiatives, events, and projects that are focused on improving positive outcomes for our youth, their families, and the community. Our American Graduate efforts include:
- An AG segment airs monthly on our magazine style program, Connecting Point highlighting local American Graduate Champions.
- Internships for inner city youth interested in being an educator or having a career in the media field. (TV, Radio, Print, Web) They have helped produce various AG media content. (posters, radio ads, and digital story)
- WGBY Latino Youth Media Institute created a google map that features youth services and resources in the community.
- Promoting PBS LearningMedia and PBS Kids resources during educator trainings.
- Being a community partner for the city-wide “Stay in School” Initiative. A campaign that engages the entire community – youth, schools, caring adults, media, business leaders and others in reaching out to those who care for children in Springfield Public Schools to play a role in encouraging increased daily attendance.
- Piloting a community-based texting campaign. 413Families/413Familia will feature educational tips, local events, and interactive messages for families. (Launch early 2016)
The station is also working closely with YMCA of Greater Springfield, Partners for Community: Youth and Education Programs, and Partners for a Healthier Community.
To see what other stations who participated in American Graduate Day are doing, visit their respective website:
- WGBH (Boston, MA)