6 Back-to-School Fun Facts
- The Boston Latin School is the oldest public school in the United States founded in 1635. Five signers of the Declaration of Independence attended the school including Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Robert Treat Paine, Samuel Adams and William Hopper.
- In 2012, there were 78 million students enrolled in school spanning from nursery school to college, according to the United States Census.
- Around 480,000 yellow school buses carry 25 million children to and from school every day.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2013, school supply shopping at clothing and bookstores amounted to $10.2 billion.
- A standard pencil has enough graphite to write roughly 45,000 words or draw a line 35 miles long. This fact has yet to be tested.
- Before the invention of eraser, breadcrumbs were used to erase mistakes.